Monday 28 February 2011

Rollercoaster week

Sorry I've been MIA. Last week was one heck of a week! First of all there was an earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand! Did I ever tell you that my brother and his family live in Christchurch? No? Well, he does.
Luckily for him (and us) he wasn't at work on Tuesday because he was off sick with gastroenteritis. My brother's work place is in downtown Christchurch and the earthquake destroyed his building trapping some  co-workers until they could be rescued. Two of his team are still missing! On the morning of the quake he was at the doctors with my sister-in-law and I am soooo glad that he got sick (so are they!) Atfer the doctors they had decided to go into town to the library to return a book, but my brother forgot to take the book with him so they decided to go to a their local library and check out the books there. This is where they were when the quake hit at 12.50 instead of the downtown library which got seriously damaged. Someone up there was looking out for them (twice) and I am really grateful! Our hearts go out to all those who lost loved ones!

Sadly, we had bad news this week anyway. On Thursday evening we got a phone call informing us that my husband's brother-in-law had just died of heart failure while playing sports, at only 53 years of age leaving four children ages 23-10 years old. This was so unexpected and we are still in shock!
The funeral will take place on Wednesday. I cannot grasp the feelings that they all must be having. It makes me even more grateful for what I have!
I've used all my condolence cards so have to make some more. I wanted something simple yet elegant and I thought about the lovely HA flower stamp that I bought last year (and haven't yet used) and started inking it up and this is what I came up with. I have two more to make.



Card recipe:
Papers: DCWV / HOTP
Stamps. Hero Arts Stencil Flower CG194 / Everyday Sayings CL342
Inks: Memento Tuxedxo Black / Copics: YG03 G82
Punches: Fiskars Lace Border
Ribbon: Knorr prandell
Flat back pearl and doily from my stash

Thanks for listening to my ramblings and wish you all a lovely Monday. Hug your loved one because you never know what is around the corner!

Hugs to you all,
Becca

4 comments :

  1. So sorry to hear about your very sad week, but glad your brother is ok, I live in New Zealand about 5hrs from Christchurch, and I can't believe what has happened to that beautiful city, and all those poor people. Someone was definitely looking after your brother for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Becca, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my dad several few years ago from a heart attack while visiting during the Christmas holiday. It was so unexpected and really difficult. I will be praying for you and your family. So glad to hear your brother and his family are okay! Your card is gorgeous! I love the colors and how all the elements are put together. Hugs, Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s a lovely card and I’m sure it means so much more than a bought one. I am so sorry for your losses as well.

    I live in New Zealand on the north island, and we had another earthquake early this morning at 19 past 2. It was 4.7 and 30 km deep. We had one on Tuesday evening. Earthquakes are really scary even if they don’t wreck your things. The earth screeches sometimes VERY loud or it rumbles or knocks, it’s as though it was angry and then comes the shake.

    Will be praying for you

    May God bless you and your day
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice card Becca - you certainly have had a lot on your plate.
    Fondly - Sandy Dehon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments; they are very much appreciated.